Name: The Zanja
Site Number: #43
Date Visited: 03/08/2015
Other Designation: National Historic Site (NPS-77000329)
Plaque Status: State Marker
Location: 474-498 Division St., Redlands, CA 92374
Coordinates: 34.059547, -117.169679
Description: Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch, or ‘zanja,’ in 1819-20. It supported the San Bernardino Asistencia, the Rancho San Bernardino, then pioneer ranches and orchards and finally Redlands’ domestic water supply.