SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY

 

COUNTY HISTORY AND MAP OF COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS

San Joaquin County was one of the original United States counties of California, created in 1850 at the time of statehood.

The county was named for the San Joaquin River which runs through it. In the early 19th century Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga, commanding an expedition in the lower great California Central Valley, gave the name of San Joaquin (meaning Joachim) to the San Joaquin River, which springs from the southern Sierra Nevada. San Joaquin County is the site of the San Joaquin Valley‘s first permanent residence.

Between 1843 and 1846, during the era when California was a province of independent Mexico, five Mexican land grants were made in what became San Joaquin County: Campo de los FrancesesPescadero (Grimes)Pescadero (Pico)Sanjon de los Moquelumnes and Thompson.

It was developed for ranching and agriculture. It attracted more miners and settlers at the time of the California Gold Rush.


COUNTY HISTORICAL LANDMARKS (LIST)