FORT WORTH LIVESTOCK EXCHANGE
Headquarters, one of greatest cattle markets in the world. In late 1860s Fort Worth was stop on cattle trails. Market for West Texas organized 1870s. First trader, T. B. Saunders, Sr., soon was joined by others. First small packing houses were followed (early 1900s) by multi-million dollar plants. By 1910 trading almost doubled. This structure was erected in 1902-03 to house the Stockyards Company, Livestock Commission, and buyers officers, surrounded by lawns (now parking lots). In 1944, was purchased by United Stockyards Corporation.
THE OLD CHILSOM TRAIL
This trail post commemorates and marks the location of the Great Eastern Cattle Road, known commonly as the Old Chisholm Trail, as it left Ft. Worth and headed north toward Red River Station and Indian Territory. It is identical to 400 Chisholm Trail posts placed across Oklahoma (Indian Territory) from 1990-1997 by Robert L. (Bob) Klemme of Enid, OK, to mark the exact trail from Red River Station to Kansas, set during the Chisholm Trail Roundup, 16 June, 2000.