THE ROUND ROCK
A guide for Indians and early settlers, this table-shaped stone in the middle of Brushy Creek once marked an important low-water wagon crossing. Hundred-year-old wheel ruts are still visible in the creek bottom. The rocky stream bed also provided building stone for pioneer homes. “Brushy Creek” post office was established in 1851 to serve the settlement that grew up near this natural ford. At the urging of postmaster Thomas C. Oatts, it was renamed “Round Rock” in 1854. This name was retained when the town relocated along the railroad (1 mi. E) in 1877.
• State Historical Site (9330)